Section: Building & Regeneration

Multi-million pound refurb underway at Salford tower block once earmarked for demolition

Posted 30.10.18
Salix Homes: Article link

A major improvement scheme at an iconic Salford tower block once earmarked for demolition is now underway.

Fitzwarren Court was scheduled to be demolished as part of a wider £120 million regeneration of the area but the plans were halted in 2016 when Salix Homes secured funding to modernise the block.

Salix Homes is investing £7.5 million to completely transform the 23-storey high-rise building along with 10 terraced homes on the neighbouring Rosehill Close.

The ageing 1970s block, which contains 135 one-and two bedroom apartments, will be fitted with new kitchens, bathrooms, an energy efficient heating system, new windows and doors and the upgrading of communal areas.

Also included are a sprinkler system and a state-of-the-art fire alarm system as part of our Safety Enhancement Programme across all tower blocks in Salford.

Externally, the distinctive blue and green tower block will be completely rendered and transformed in grey, green and orange tones as chosen by the residents.

*****

Funding available for the removal and replacement of unsafe aluminium composite material cladding

Posted 18.10.18
GOV.UK: Article link

£248 million has been released to social sector landlords to fund the removal and replacement of unsafe aluminium composite material (ACM) cladding from high-rise (defined as 18 metres or higher) social sector homes.

The money is the first tranche of funding released from the estimated £400 million announced by the Prime Minister earlier this year.

Applications were received for 159 buildings, and 135 - from 12 councils and 31 housing associations - have been approved.

Requests have been made for more information for 12 applications and these, as well as any others received, will be reviewed in December.

As this work is ongoing and costs are estimated (and subject to change), 80% of the estimated costs will be provided upfront to ensure work can start with no delay. The work will be closely monitored and the remaining 20% will paid once work is complete and the final costs are known.

*****

Quick Links

Updated 22.10.18

  • The Independent: Tower blocks across the UK have a systemic structural flaw that puts them at risk of collapse - housing experts have told The Independent.

  • Keyfacts


    Keep up-to-date with issues affecting the social and affordable housing sectors


    News and views reported in summary format, with links for further reading


    Recognisable sub-sections for easy access - now and at a future date


    An essential free resource for anyone with a busy daily schedule



    Enter your email address to receive our e-newsletters advising on updates to KeyFacts

    We will not share your email address with others or use it for any other purpose

    Reporting on October 2018

    Site Sections

    Bookmark and Share

    Current Issue

    **********


    Visit Our Featured Websites